The Mechanical Engineer will perform and document detailed design, assembly, and testing of mechanical flight hardware and soft goods, research and develop ideas to support construction of new components (e.g. mechanical parts and fittings) and systems used in production and operation of space, high altitude balloon, and unmanned aircraft systems. The Mechanical Engineer will also improve the performance and efficiency of existing products and manufacturing equipment.
- Design prototypes of structures, fittings, fixtures, soft goods, etc., used to support company production and flight operations
- Recommend and design improvements to existing products or equipment, including fixtures, to enhance their efficiency, improve functionality, or improve safety
- Develop, perform, and document test plans and procedures for new or enhanced mechanical flight hardware and soft goods
- Use computer-aided design and modelling software to create or modify models, drawings, and design documentation that meets required engineering/customer specifications
- Support the Production and Engineering Managers in prototype design and testing
- Interface effectively with vendors to obtain timely quotes and develop purchase orders as required
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- Previous hands-on experience in designing and implementing test and compliance plans
- 3D CAD experience
- This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” as Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- A working knowledge of space, aviation and flight environments and the systems, components, and materials used
- Proficiency in computer aided design, including solid modeling (SolidWorks) is preferred
- Knowledge of and practical experience in structural analysis, performing Finite Element Analysis in support of prototyping design efforts is a plus
- Knowledge of design of mechanical systems, components, and materials, including appropriate tolerances
- Experience prototyping and modifying production equipment is a plus
- Ability to solve problems by gathering information and evaluating options
- PC proficient in a Microsoft Windows environment. Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and Web enabled applications.
- Proven project management experience and the ability to serve as the Lead Project Engineer for identified projects
- Ability to present information effectively and persuasively using both written and verbal communications
- Listen attentively and actively
- Write effectively using various styles to address different needs and audiences
- Work productively with others in a team environment
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities
- Have excellent attendance and complete quality work on time
- Manage time effectively and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with power and hand tools safely and effectively
Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, 401(k) retirement plan, short and long term disability, term life insurance, and holiday pay.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter and complete our online job application.
Drug Free Workplace, Equal Opportunity Employer