Why Join Us?
Located west of Portland on the beautiful Oregon Coast, Near Space Corporation values innovation, teamwork, commitment and offers an environment of growth and advancement opportunities. Specializing in the testing and maturing of space and aviation technologies, NSC has extensive experience providing relevant space like environments for maturing new technologies and testing concepts of operations using high altitude balloons and UAVs.
|Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
|Schedule: Monday – Friday, occasional weekends
|Typical Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, overtime as needed
Near Space Corporation’s (NSC) Near Space Corporation’s (NSC) Engineering Manager strives for company success. The Engineering Manager shares similar technical backgrounds of the company engineers, but is focused on leading and managing their teams’ goals with the business. The application of education and practical experience in this niche aerospace market is essential to being successful at NSC.
As an established leader, the Engineering Manager sets a precedence by following through on their commitments for the company. A successful Engineering Manager leads and motivates a multi-disciplined team of engineers while implementing their proficiency of project management, people management, and business management.
- Manages and grows a multi-discipline engineering team (mechanical, aerospace, flight test, electrical, etc.) to cross-train and develop new skills
- Develops and maintains department and project budgets, schedules, and engineering-related time and expenses
- Establishes, maintains, and improves engineering department standard practices and procedures, and metrics for their continued evaluation
- Reviews and approves test plans and conducts reviews of test results, as required
- Directs support for the Production Team as necessary with design, process, equipment, and testing improvements
- Directs support for the Flight Operations Team with flight train and payload platform design, test, and certification
- Supports operational and flight readiness reviews, Specific Operational Risk Analyses (SORA), and airworthiness reviews, as required in advance of flight operations,
- Manages company-wide IR&D program including obtaining/approval of IR&D proposals and developing annual budgets and tracking performance to same
- Develop and communicate goals in support of the business’ mission.
- Desire to work cooperatively with others on a team to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships.
- Demonstrate support for innovation and organizational changes needed to improve effectiveness.
- Demonstrates a bias for action and leads by example.
This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management, training & development, safety, and timecards of the employees within the department.
Work Environment, Safety Commitment, & Travel
This job operates in a professional aviation environment and position diversity varies between office, flight hangar, production floor, flight line, and field operations.
Safety is both a program and a value which plays an integral part of the NSC mission. Safety as a value is shared between management and employees and is evidenced by collective thinking, planning, actions, and accountability. A positive safety culture at NSC includes communication based on mutual trust, shared perceptions of the importance of safety, confidence in the effectiveness of preventive measures, and support from everyone at NSC. Prospective employees must be committed to upholding the highest level of safety performance to ensure that all activities meet national and world-class standards for employees and customers.
This position may require up to 30% travel with extended work hours in the field with varying weather conditions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job operates primarily in a professional office environment and is a light work role.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 75% of the time.
- Occasionally operates and moves about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, such as computers, phones, photocopiers, calculators, printers, etc.
- Frequently ascends/descends stairs to perform essential functions.
- Frequently communicates with internal and external partners and must be able to communicate thoughts clearly, document, remember information, and organize tasks.
- Must be able to observe and assess company documents.
- Occasionally extends hands and arms to access cabinets or essential objects.
- Frequently performs motions of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers for typing, writing, etc.
- Occasionally positions self to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl during flight operations.
- Occasionally moves equipment weighing up to 50lbs.
- Occasionally using upper extremities to press against something with steady force.
- Occasionally using upper extremities to exert force in order to draw, drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Occasionally exposed to dust, extreme temperatures, noise, mechanical hazards electrical hazards, explosive hazards, and high-pressure gases.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related degree
- 3+ years engineering management experience, including managing development activities
- 5+ years engineering design experience in Mechanical, Aerospace, or Aviation related industries
- Experience in design standards and managing computerized drawing systems (Solid Works or similar packages)
- Experience in writing and reviewing proposals and engineering reports for government/commercial customers
- Experience as engineering project lead or as Project Manager
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including: Word, Excel, E-mail, and web-enabled apps
- Valid Driver’s License
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Engineering/Business
- Experience in forming or growing engineering teams
- Experience in engineering development in the Aerospace industry
- Experience managing multi-discipline engineering teams and projects
- Experience with the engineering design lifecycle
- Background in unmanned systems or aviation flight test operations
- Knowledge of electronics and avionics
- Background in radio and telemetry systems
Equal Employment Opportunity
NSC is an equal opportunity employer who focuses on building a culture where differences are valued. Our mission of leveraging new technology is achieved by embracing diversity and providing an inclusive workforce. NSC employment is based on competence, qualifications, merit, performance, and business need.
- This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” as Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, 401(k) retirement plan, short and long term disability, term life insurance, and holiday pay.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and complete our online job application.
Drug Free Workplace, Equal Opportunity Employer