Product Development Engineer
The Product Development Engineer will lead design efforts, support the current manufacturing processes, and assist the production manager in maintaining and troubleshooting manufacturing equipment. The Product Development Engineer will utilize their technical background and experience to evaluate and establish better and more efficient ways to manufacture our products; supporting continuous improvement of product quality and reduction in manufacturing costs. The Product Development Engineer must be familiar with soft goods design, manufacturing equipment, processes, tools, and maintenance. This work is hands on, interacting with and collaborating with Engineering and Production personnel.
- Apply knowledge of mechanical and materials engineering and scientific principles to develop, design, analyze, test and validate solutions for complex softgoods (textile) structural systems and parts.
- Design and fabricate softgoods for space and high-altitude applications
- Provide equipment design improvement ideas and collaborate with engineering resources to implement
- Hold internal design reviews as well as lead customer design reviews
- Ensure solutions achieve required quality levels, reliability, and consistency
- Use computer software to create/modify layouts, drawings, and designs supporting manufacturing operations
- Interface effectively with vendors to get quotes and develop purchase orders as required
- Incorporate engineering specifications into design, process, or manufacturing techniques
- Support R&D for new manufacturing technology efforts
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or related field
- 4-6 years of professional Soft Goods engineering experience with a preference for working in an aerospace environment
- Knowledge of mechanical manufacturing processes, including assembly and test
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” as Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
- Knowledge of lean and/or Six Sigma concepts
- Knowledge of Materials Engineering, with a preference in polymers and textile materials
- Experience with best-in-class manufacturing techniques
- Knowledge of design of mechanical systems, components, and materials
- Ability to interpret schematics and assembly drawings
- Proficiency using both SolidWorks and AutoCAD tools
- Ability to work with power and hand tools safely and effectively
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite including; word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, and web enabled applications. Highly efficient in recording and modifying macros in Excel.
- Present information effectively and persuasively across communication settings
- Write effectively using various styles to address different needs and audiences
- Work productively with others in a team environment
- Is flexible and can adjust to shifting priorities
- Manage time effectively and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, 401(k) retirement plan, short and long term disability, term life insurance, and holiday pay.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and complete our online job application.
Drug Free Workplace, Equal Opportunity Employer